LUCKY STAR OVA
studio : Kyoto Animation
director : Yasuhiro Takemoto
serial run : September 26, 2008
total episodes : 1
score : ****
anyway it was a fun watch all along, and as usual the plot reeks of references to the otaku culture and thus those outside of the loop may find lucky star as boring and impalatable to their taste for the excessive talks [ i once heard a comment from one of my junior on how superior is bleach's joke / comedy when compared to lucky star's lol wut ]. also the ova is not to be missed for one of lucky star's most defining aspect is the truckload of parodies of the japanese pop culture which will surely brings you down to your knees lol-ing.
the ova unfolds in six different sets of stories seen from the perspective[s] of selected characters :
01. cherry to minami. told from the perspective of minami iwasaki and / or her dog cherry, this sketch focuses on the random interaction[s] between minami's friends and her pet dog which mysteriously went uber lax that very day. there's not much stuff happening in this set as minami herself wasn't that much of an engaging character as the fab 4 was, however thanks to patricia martin who jots down her usual pseudo-japanese gags which somewhat brings me down to a burst of lol, as well as yutaka's childish [ moe~~~ ] moments wif cherry. and +1 for hiyorin getting combo-ed by cherry :3
02. the lucky party. revolving on the online conversation between [ mainly ] konata izumi, nanako kuroi and kagami hiiragi [ while tsukasa remains silent most of the time due to her inexperience wif online / in game chat ] within a [ new ? also seeing from the level they had at the beginning of the brief ] mmorpg. expect usual gaming rants between the two hardcores konata and nanako while kagamin butts in between chat trying to seek a place within the convo. also wth- hare hare yukai rofl.
03. a tsunderella story. set from kagamin's perspective this brief story pokes fun at kagamin's tsundere quality whereupon konata unleashes a barrage of teasing towards kagamin as well as a series of 2D cosplaying [ much to my joy ]. this brief's probably geared towards them fans of kagamin x konata seeing from the 'magical reset word' incantated by kagamin at the end of her dream :3
04. sisters rivalry. a volleyball game seen from tsukasa's point of view. this time we get to see how sad it is to be a side-chara [ lol ], being over-shadowed by a much more prominent existance such as an elder twin sister who's often being praised and excels in everything she does. seeing tsukasa tries her best to topple the shadow of her sister will prob'ly help many of those who shares the same fate as her IRL to never give up to their fate as well as to try on breaking their destined side-chara role lol.
05. lost in the jungle. miyuki takara recollects a memory of a trip she had wif her friends, getting lost in a jungle [ mainly thanks to konata ] while listening to a series of ghost stories recited by none other than konata. as the brief came to its end konata's cell finally get a reception and the party was later scolded hard by nanako sensei, but not wifout having some happy-curry-end :3
06. the final set is a disturbing, psychologically intriguing medley of parodies [ sayonara zetsubou sensei, keroro gunsou, code geass etc ] weaved together in the image of serial experiments lain. it is quite a haunting set of all wif the brooding gamelan-esque bgm helps in driving the chill in me towards the froggy end lol. also there's the AFK JOKE LOLWUT. i remember facing the same situation as well [ in y!m ] back then :3
i am now content wif my raki suta watch and hopefully the series would just end here wif the ova since i do think that resuming the series for another serial run will only ruin the mood set by the finale of the tv series.